Saturday 28 April 2012

Ewelme 

In the absolutely beautiful weather we had today, I spent the entire time outside on a recording day with Oxford Buildings Record and their project with the Victoria County History volume for Oxfordshire. Wandering the village of Ewelme with 20 other volunteers, we were basically being exceptionally nosey under the pretence of recording. 

However, within one mile of village there were some intriguing examples of vernacular architecture. Now, those that know me know that I am not vernacular architectures most biggest fan, yet some of these cottages, along with the in-depth knowledge of the team leaders, managed to change even my rather stubborn mind ( as well as making me realise that I have a long road of learning ahead........)

I won't go into detail, but here are some examples. 

3 phase thatched cottage (16th C - 1997):





Grade II listed Iron Foundry that still has everything inside, bellows included! 






Believe it or not, this is a Primary School. 



Carpenters mark on a rafter in the village's Almshouse that dates to 1437. 




No comments:

Post a Comment